Chestnuts are in season now. Everyone I know loves them. But to peel them is really painful and hard. There are the deshelled packaged ones available but I really don't like those. They have been soakd in a sulphide solution to peserve them and have an off taste At the market, we see some that are slightly deshelled. The traditional way of peeling them is to boil them in water. But in fact, the shell sticks to the meat and makes it incredibly hard to peel. A faster and easier way to make them is eithe using the oven or microwaving them. Here is how it is done:
1. Buy the half deshelled ones. Clean the chestnuts in water. The ones that have turned bad will float on the top.
2. Put them in the oven and set the oven at 140C for 15 minutes. Try peeling a chestnut and if the shell comes off easily, take them out of oven. Otherwise, leave them in oven for another 15 minutes.
If microvaving put them in a container and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Check to see if they are done. If not, then continue microwaving a minute or less at a time. It should take around 3-5 minutes to cook the chestnuts
3. Take them out and peel the shells off. The shells should come off easily. If not, then that means they are not done and put them back oven for another 5 minutes.
4. If you are using whole chestnuts, you will need to slit the shell first. Otherwise the chestnuts will explode.
2. 放在焗爐，用140°C, 焗20-30分。如用微波爐就叮2分鐘，拿出來， 翻一翻，再叮2分鐘。
3. 拿出來用手去皮。如皮還不離肉， 可以再焗一焗。